• Welcome

    My name is Fredrik Henriksson and I am currently studying game design at Futuregames.
    At the end of the education I will have a 30 weeks vocational training.

    I will write about my school projects as well as my spare time level design, roleplaying and games in general.
    I hope you will enjoy the blog.

    Contact:
    E-mail: fredrikhen@gmail.com
    LinkedIn: http://se.linkedin.com/in/fredrikhenriksson

Level design basics

Posted by Fredrik Henriksson On 11:42 PM 0 kommentarer

Now I thought it would be fun to share some of the things I sent in when applying to Futuregames Academy.
Below is a short video of a level I designed during my quality assurance in games course at Gotland University.

We had an assignment to create a building in Hammer Source SDK editor. (Used to create levels for Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Alien Swarm and many other games).

The assignment in short was:

Create a working Half-Life 2 map with the following features:

  •     Building with two floors
  •     Stairs to the second floor
  •     One door that opens by a trigger
  •     Glass windows
  •     A balcony
  •     Player starting position
We had a one week deadline to learn how to do triggers etc and complete all parts of the assignment.


This was my first real attempt to do something in Source SDK, I created allot more things then was required in the assignment, but I learn much and had allot of fun. I believe this assignment is a good way to start learning about level designing and it really helps in bug testing to have knowledge of what could go wrong when mapping.




The goal I had for the map, after completing the assignment objectives was to give it a creepy feeling, as if the church was haunted or something.

I tried to do this with game objects (props) from the Half-life 2 game. Examples of this are the trees with bare branches, the broken statue, and the doll forgotten on the church bench as if a child left in fear.
What I believe really add some feeling to the map is the lighting combined with the skybox and weather effects with the rain.

Categories:

0 Response for the "Level design basics"

Post a Comment